Monday, September 19, 2011

Sides are important, too.


This little experiment has taken a turn for the best? I work late almost every night and even tho I enjoy cooking....it's late and I'm tired! Grabbing take out 3-5 nights a week adds up. I spend on average $20.00 a night for Christopher and I. Also, do you ever get in a rut and everything you work so hard making turns out to be junk? I'm there. I always overlook side dishes because after I slave away over the main course I don't care anymore about sides. So the purpose of "Sides are important, too" has a few main goals:

1. Try some new side recipes and make my own
2. Save money
3. Because I've been reading the Pioneer Woman's blog and decided I needed a project


I went to BJ's (bulk store) and bought some of the premade, gulp, frozen entree's. Go ahead and stone me now. Blasphemy! It'll all make sense...maybe. This evening we had Premade Chicken Cordon Bleu, Macaroni and Cheese and my new side dish Big Bird Bowl. (I can name it whatever I want, don't roll your eyes at my corny name...hehehe it also has corn in it!)

1 Small yellow squash (cut into thin slices)
1 Small can of corn
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Dash cayenne
2 TBS butter
Handfull of french fried onions

Melt butter over medium-high heat
Add squash slices and stir to coat in butter
Add spices, however much tickles your fancy. I went easy on the garlic and cayenne, little heavy on the onion.
Sautee until squash starts to brown a tid bit.
Add corn and stir to heat thru.
Add handful of french fried onions (again, however much floats your boat)

I'm not a big squash fan, but I actually really liked this. Everything in it is yellow and I figured if Big Bird were to ever come over for dinner that he'd probably like this.

So lets review:

Frozen Chicken Cordon Blew $10.00 for pack of 6. I used 3: $5.00
Box of the fancy mac n' cheese that I got onsale 2 weeks ago: $2.00
Squash, corn and such maybe: $3.00

Total of $10.00! I saved $10 this evening. Yeaaahhhhhh!

No comments: