Sunday, July 20, 2014

Mexican Rice Casserole

I'm not gonna lie, other than the 2 cans I have no clue how much of each spice was used.  I am guestimating completely, just eyeball it.  I really like cumin so I dump a bunch of that into it.


4 BLSL chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
4 garlic cloves
1 TBSP onion powder
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp paprika (spanish smoked)
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1/4 cup of apple cidar vinegar (or regular, I've used both)
juice of 1 lime
1/4 cup of salsa (we dont do chunks so I blend the salsa)
1 can of whole kernal corn, drained
1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 package of frozen sweet plaintains
1 cup of rice
2-3 cups of chicken broth

Heat just a touch of oil in a deep pot add chicken, season w salt and pepper.  "fry" on high just to get a little brown on the chicken, add vinegar, lime, salsa and spices. turn to low and allow to reduce.

Defrost plaintains in the microwave and chop into bite sized pieces, set aside.

Add beans, corn and plaintains to the part, add about 2 1/2 cups of chicken broth, bring to a boil.

Add a cup of rice and turn heat to low.  Put a lid on it for about 20-30 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.  I had to add a little more chicken stock, so keep and eye on it.  Don't let the bottom burn, or let it burn if you want--you're the one cleaning the pot, not me.

I've also added sausage to this and thats really good as well.

***top with cheese, sour cream, jalapenos, and/or chips.  The cheese is not the star, the plaintains are so don't glob tons of cheese on top.  I'll be mad.


No comments: