Sunday, September 30, 2012

Lime Chicken Tacos

Have I mentioned that I love limes?  I would marry limes but they have rules against that.  Plus, lots of people use limes and I think that would be cheating.  That's not fair to society, or me, or limes. Anyways, back to it.

1 package of chicken tenderloins, cut into 3rds
1/2 juice of half a lime
1/4 onion, cut in big honkin pieces
2 TBS butter
1 TBS garlic powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/4 c chicken broth
1 tsp fresh chopped parsley
pinch of crushed red pepper (or more, I won't tell)

Melt butter over high heat, add onion and stir to brown.
Add chicken and brown for a min or two, then reduce heat and add chicken broth (chicken can still be pink in the middle at this point)
Add all the rest of that stuff, put a lid on it and allow to cook slowly for about 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink in the center.
Remove lid and turn up heat until most of the liquid is absorbed. 

You can put it in tortillas w/ a little sour cream, cheese, salsa, and a squirt of lime juice, but the chicken is good just by itself.

Confessions: I used only half a lime because I had one lime left and I knew I would want to squeeze some over this after it was done.  It was delicious and next time I probably would use the same amount.  That is all.  Also, I love the flavor of onions, but hate biting into one...that's why I use big pieces.  For real now, that is all. 


Mexican Rice
1 cup rice
2 cups chicken broth
1/3 cup of hot salsa
6 pickled jalapenos
Pinch of crushed red pepper
1 tsp of fresh chopped parsley

Puree salsa and jalapenos in the blender (we have a little bullet thing so it was no big deal, but I don't do chucks so this was a "have to" for me)  If you don't want to blend it to baby food, then don't, but don't come crying to me when you get a chuck of tomato.
Add salsa and rice to a pot and turn up the heat.  Watch it now, don't burn.
Continuously stirring until the rice absorbs most of the salsa. 
Add parsley and crushed red pepper.
Pour in chicken broth and bring to a boil.
Once boiling, put a lid on it and turn heat to low for about 20 minutes. 
Season w/ salt and pepper.  Top w/ a little cheese and a dollop of sour cream.

No comments: