Sunday, June 22, 2014

Kinda Cuban Sandwich

I often have to disguise left overs for my husband to eat them the next day.  Yesterday we had a Mexican Fiesta with some friends and I had left over pork to use.  Originally, I made a pork loin in the crock pot with a bottle of Dr. Pepper and a can of Chipotle Chilis on high for 4-5 hours.  After I shredded it, I added the juice of one lime to the mix and just kept warm on the stove until time to serve on tortillas.  This evening I had Hawaiian Sweet bread loaf so I used that in lieu of the traditional roll the Cuban usually is served.  BTW, if you didn't know those amazing little Hawaiian rolls came as a loaf now I probably just changed your life.  You're Welcome.

4 slices of Hawaiian Sweet bread
4 slices of deli ham
about 1/2 cup of left over pork meat, shredded
4 slices of provolone cheese
4 sandwich lenght bread and butter pickles (that's my fav, use what u want)
Dijon Mustard, I like Grey Poupon.  (mainly I just like saying Grey Poupon)
Half a stick of butter

Heat griddle to 350 degrees
Melt about a TBS of button on griddle and lay down 2 slices of bread, Swish around to soak up all the butter.  If you are worried about calories you are on the Wrong blog, my friend.  Moving on.  Layer one slice of cheese, half the pork, 2 slices of ham, pickles, then another slice of cheese.  Spread mustang on other bread pieces.
Top with the other piece of bread, mustard side down. Spread some more butter on a different part of the griddle.  You should be ready to flip by now.
Flip sandwich into the butter and allow to brown on the other side.  It only takes a few moments, don't walk away and yell at the dog, don't answer the phone, don't go pee. Stand right there and chillax until its done.  I tell you this from experience, because I was just going to send a quick text and then next thing I know the bottom is a little more brown than I wanted.  Don't you worry about all that, it still tasted great.
I served this delicious little guy on a white chinet paper plate.  I know what you're thinking: Classy.  Ur right.

No comments: