Sunday, January 18, 2015

Creamy Chicken and Rice

I just sort of threw this together one night as a quick dinner.  The chicken was very tender and moist and my husband really liked it.  He's a bit of a tough critic.  I am guessing at the measurements.  

4 BLSL chicken breasts
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper
2 TBS olive oil

The Sauce:
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup of sour cream
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp parsley
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2-3 TBS chicken broth

Heat 2 TBS of olive oil in a pan on high heat.  Meanwhile, pat chicken dry and season with cayenne, garlic, salt and pepper.  I go generous with the cayenne, we like spicy!  Combine all the ingredients for the sauce in a bowl, except the chicken broth and mustard.

Lay chicken pretty side down in the hot oil and fry until the sides start to turn white, then flip and repeat.  It probably took 3-4 mins per side.  They don't have to be done, just very brown.  Not burnt, there's a difference.

Remove chicken and set aside for a hot minute.  Add chicken broth.  I added just enough to barely cover the bottom of the pan.  It should sizzle a bit, scrape the bits off the bottom of the pan, reduce heat to low and add sauce mixture.  Stir to combine with the chicken broth, add the mustard.  Can you add the mustard in the big bowl w the other stuff?  I don't know, maybe, but I didn't.  Add your chicken back to the pan, put a lid on it and let'er go for about 15-20 minutes to finish cooking.  Grab a glass of wine, make some bread, yell at  your husband, do what you want.  This is your 15-20 minutes. 

Serve over rice, you could do pasta if that tickles your fancy. I forgot to make bread, but he didn't even notice. 

Next time, I think I might add some mushrooms or peas.   

No comments: