Sunday, January 18, 2015

Chicken Enchilada Soup


This was amazing.  I am a genius!  Just kidding, but seriously!

2 TBS olive oil
4 BLSL chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
2 sausage links (cut into small pieces, I use Johnsonville New Orleans)
1/4 cup of yellow onion, minced
1 1/2 TSB garlic powder (I didn't have fresh)
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp parsley'1/2 tsp cayenne
Sprinkle of crushed red pepper (I used a healthy sprinkle)
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
1/2 c masa flour
8 oz Velveeta cheese, cubed
3/4 cup of enchilada sauce
salt and pepper to taste

in a dutch oven, cook sausage util browned, set aside.  Add 1 TSB of olive oil, add chicken and cook until no longer pink, set aside. 
Heat another TSB of olive oil and sauté onion over medium heat until cooked to hell and almost not there.
Add chicken broth and scrape the brown bits off the bottom of the pot. 
combine masa with 1 cup of water, whisky to combine.  Add to broth.
Add remaining water, enchilada sauce, chicken and sausage and remaining spices, bring to a boil.
Add cheese about 20 minutes prior to serving.
Garnish with with shredded cheese, crushed tortilla chips and sour cream. 

My husband told me this was the best soup ever.  That the soup man (from Seinfeld) would want the recipe.  I thought it was delicious, maybe not Soup Man quality, but it was good.  I should know, it made a giant pot and I ate it for days.  The hubs, who hates left overs, ate it again, too. 

No comments: