Sunday, January 18, 2015






Well here it is! Mega Breakfast II. The menu:
Scrambled Eggs
Sausage Patties
Sausage Links
Bacon
Baked Grits
Hashbrown Casserole
Sausage Gravy
Biscuits
Chocolate Chip Pancakes





This is us about to devour this massive amont of food. Look how happy and smiley everyone is....before we all began to hurt! The guy in the green is my hubs, Christopher. Then my BFF Kathryn and her husband Eric. Christopher said he loved the sausage gravy the most. Kathryn and Eric, for the most part, will eat anything!





This is the rest of my crew. Allison, part of my BFF crew and that's her husband Brett. All the way in the back is Matthew, Allison's brother. The three of them live next door to us. Matthew is a griller and I'm slowly, but surely, getting better at manin' the grill. Matthew lets me grill sometimes. Brett has been home for a year now, but he was stationed over in Afganistan (I think) so Allison would come over and be my tester. Matthew is awesome to cook for because he very delicately critizes, but also tells me what he thinks would correct it or make it better....but when he tells me it's great, I believe him. My husband is less constructive, but he tries. I still love him!

So, here is my plate, pretty full eh? It was soo delicious! I haven't made sausage gravy in yeeaarrss, but it turned out great. In fact, I'm about to go heat up the left overs and eat them for breakfast right now. I think I'll take a break and do that.









So I did it all in about an hour and a half. I got up at 7:30 (but I spent about 45 minutes cleaning my house!) Here's the process, recipes to follow...that is if Allison will ever give me the receipe for the chocolate chip pancakes! She makes great pancakes so I outsource those! Everything else I made.

Preheat oven to 375 and line your biggest sheet pan w/ bacon. They can over lap a little, but try to have them as flat as possible (I had to do 2 pans....lots of bacon!) Throw it in the oven and forget about it for about 1/2 hour or so. Actually, don't forget about it- Keep checking it because I over crisp'ed the first batch.

Start the water for the grits and bring to a boil. Meanwhile start the hashbrown casserole. I left the hashbrowns out in the fridge so they would cook faster, assemble the hashbrown casserole and set aside. Grits should be done now, finish assembling that and set aside.

You should be taking out the second set of bacon about now. Turn the oven down to 350 and throw both in the oven. Now take a quick break (I unloaded the dishwasher, but its your break do what you want!)

The two casseroles take about 45 minutes so I made sure they got in the oven by 9:45. Now all you have left is the meats, gravy, biscuits and eggs. Now start your sausage gravy. While I was making that I was going to make real biscuits, but my friends insisted that we just open a can (I know, they're a little lame sometimes) So we opted for canned biscuits (don't tell any one!) Start the other 2 sausages in a pan, they finish about the same time. Pop the biscuits in the oven and make your eggs. That was my process and it all came together right about 10am. So I supposed you want recipes...

Hashbrown Casserole:

1 bag frozen hash browns (leave um in the fridge over night)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2-3/4 cup of sour cream
1 1/2 cups of cheese
2/3 cup of cooked diced ham
garlic powder
onion powder
1-1/2 TBS of hidden valley ranch (they make a big canister now of the packets, I put it on everything!)
salt and peppa!

I browned the ham in a skillet for a few minutes. In a bowl mix potatoes and spices.
Add soup cheese (save about 1/2 cup), and sour cream.
Throw in the ham and mix well. Fits nicely in a 13x9 in pan. Sprinkle remaining cheese and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes

******This was the favorite.


Sausage Gravy
This is soooo ridiculasly easy!

1 tube of Jimmy Dean sage sauage
4 TBS of flour
3-4 cups of milk

Brown sausage and break apart. We like small pieces of sausage, but if you like it big then go for the big (thats what she said!)
Once it's brown sprinkle, one at at time, a tbs of flour and stir. Make sure the flour is cooked long enough to brown, don't burn it, but cook it for a bit so it doesn't taste like flour!
Add milk slowly and whisk into the sausage/flour pastey stuff. I used 3 cups of milk, but it was really really think. I'd probably go for the 4th cup next time...but thats just me. Let it simmer while you make the eggs.

***close 2nd, but not the favorite.


















No comments: