Sunday, February 1, 2015

Chicken Pad Thai

I finally found tamarind paste at Whole Foods!  Oh happy day!  I love Pad Thai!!  Given the opportunity, I would eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  It's my favorite food in the whole world.  I would need some of those curry crab rangoo0ns from time to time, obviously.

This is my first attempt and it wasn't bad, but wasn't amazing either.  We ate it, I had heart burn, and I know what I did wrong.  While making the sauce I thought I didn't have enough for the noodles I was using, so I doubled it.  Which was a mistake.  I also deviated from the recipe because, well, who doesn't love lime juice.  My recipe with be minus the lime juice in the sauce, but not squeezed on top, that my friends, is amazing!

4 BLSL chicken breasts, cut very small
1 package of rice noodles
3 large eggs
1 shallot, minced
2 cloves of garlic, minced


Sauce:
2 TBS tamarind paste
1 TSB rice vinegar
3 TSB fish sauce
3 TBS palm sugar (mine were in little circles, I used one)
1 TBS chili sauce, or to taste

Garnish with:
bean sprouts (yuck)
peanuts
cilantro
lime wedges (yum)

Start soaking your rice noodles in warm water 15-20 minutes.  They should be pliable, but still firm. 
Combine all the sauce ingredients in a pot and heat until it smells awful and the sugar is dissolved.  Keep warm until ready to use.

My wok is not very good, so I don't scoot around and cook multiple things at once.  I heat a little butter and make my eggs, then set aside. 
Add oil (I used sesame) and cook chicken, season w salt and pepper until no longer pink.  It will only take a few minutes. 
Once the chicken is cooked, drain your noodles and add to the wok, I have it pretty hot at this point and stir fry.  Add your sauce and cook for about 3 minutes until your noodles are perfect.  Do not over cook or you will have mush. 
Remove from wok completely. Garnish and eat!! 

We did enjoy it, but it was not exactly what I was looking for. 

No comments: